Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 2-ATKM 54mm Cuirassier 

I've finished the basic block colors on the miniature. I used Vallejo paints for most of the figure.  I also used Howard Hues Concrete for the base color of the shabraque.  

The base of the plastic horse looks a bit weird with the tall grass and all. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the foliage or cut it down a bit. We'll see how it looks once the miniature is based.

I do like the way the plastic horse turned out. It didn't turn out too poorly.

 Here's a shot from the other side. I'm liking these figures.
 I use this old copy of Peter Blum's Model Soldier Manual for painting horses, tartans and constantly re-learning how to paint eyes without giving the figure the "zombie stare".  Found this copy at Half Price Books. I don't know if it's still available. My copy was printed in 1971.
This is what I use instead of washing (never works right-always muddies up the figure), Army Painter (this can was $4.00 USD at Ace Hardware-how much did you pay for Army Painter), is the right shade (not too dark-not too light-just right) and will brush on with a flat brush consistently.  It cleans up and is thinned with Odorless Mineral Spirits. Keeps the spouse happy with "no stank".  Light brush on instead of the lazy-assed "dip method". Takes about 8-12 hours to dry. I don't take the figures into the Tejas heat to speed dry them. I've found that doing that "crackles" the finish.  

More pictures as the project NEED some of these figures! They definitely are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment