Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tying Up Some Loose Ends-Men at War 18mm British Foot Artillery Box Set

I was organizing (relative term for me) my Men at War box sets to see how I wanted to paint my VIII Corps (1812) Westfalians for Napoleon at War. I "found" a British Foot Artillery box set. I don't know about you but, I dislike getting older. I am tending to forget where stuff is located. Oh well, no harm-no foul right? Got these guys done and ready for the M-Con in Austin next weekend.

Here's a quick review and pic set. I took the pics with my phone camera and edited them using iPhoto.  iPhoto I really like; my camera phone not so much. Enjoy....they were fun to paint as usual.


The box set was a later purchase. I've found the Men at War figures a mixed bag. The last sets were flashy but no more flashy than an Old Glory miniature.  They're chunky little guys with a well fed look.














I do like the separate limber that is "representative" rather than trudging through multiple limber sets that tend to get broken, lost or just left at home when the game starts. I used my "oil rub" painting technique for the limber horses; using Windsor and Newton Water Soluble Oil paints.  I like the speed of the "rub" and the quick drying time for the paint.  As I get older, I've less patience with long term painting projects. I want to get things completed and on the game table. These box sets make things easy.

I used the following steps in painting this box set.
  1. White Primer-Rustoleum (I NEVER Black Prime)
  2. Block paint the crews after gluing them down to the bases.  That's a change from my usual but hey, sometimes is a good thing to cut cards with the Devil right?
  3. Paint all the guns. I hot glue them onto some spare Windsor and Newton Series 7 round plastic brush holders.  The brushes come with them. Why waste them?
  4. Hit all figures, horses, limbers with a light BRUSHED (not dipped) coat of Minwax Royal Walnut. I like the finish, it's not stark like a black when painting dark blue plus works as a sealer for fat wargamer's fingers!
  5. Highlight all figures and paint faces and hands. I use a simple "Three Dot" technique for 15-18-28mm faces. Place a small dot on the nose, cheekbones and middle of the chin on the faces of the minature.  I use an old version of GW Dwarf Flesh or Vallejo Rose Beige for skin basecoats. The Minwax settles into the faces making it easy to paint and fast to do.  I use an 18/0 pointed brush from Princeton-available from Asel Art Supply for highlighting faces and hands. It allows for individual knuckles and digits on 28mm and larger miniatures. Makes a difference for me. 
Basing is a simple task. It usually takes 2 sittings to get done. I base everything as it gets painted so it doesn't get left on the painting table.

  1. Paint bases with Vallejo Game Color "Beasty Brown". Make sure you get the edges of the base.  Let dry.
  2. Put a coat of Elmer's Glue on the top of the base. I use an old crapped out brush to help get this done. 
  3. Run the base through a mix of Woodland Scenics medium and fine brown color ballast. If you foul up the glue process, the brown undercoat works just fine.
  4. Dry brush the top of the base with a flat brush after the ballast dries. with either GW Bone or Vallejo Game Color Bone.  
  5. I then put several drops of Elmer's Glue on the base and draw the base through a small container of rock ballast from Woodland Scenics. I mix up fine and medium rock and whatever sticks works for me!
  6. Paint the "rocks" Vallejo Basalt Grey and let dry. Drybrush the "rocks" with Vallejo Sky Grey.  I further hit the "rocks" with a White highlight to draw the eye to the miniature. It works.
  7. Mix up a 50/50 Elmer's Glue/H2O solution and paint it "WW2 Camo" style onto the base. Sprinkle on some static grass. Let it dry. You're done! 
Ok...that's it for this session. Hope it wasn't TOO pedantic for you. Will post after M-Con next week. I'm putting on two (2) 54mm AWI games using All the King's Men rules by Ken Cliffe. I just like seeing the "big guys" on the table.   Adios all........

No comments:

Post a Comment